Seo Online Business Sem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Randy

Randy

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I just want to ask if which is better to use, the SEM or SEO? I am planning to start a small online business, however, I need some feedback or any comment so that I can weigh things of what really to choose between the two best ways of increasing your sales in online business.

#2 Leon

Leon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hi there Randy, SEM and SEO are both beneficial for making your online business successful. In SEM you buy ads and you need to make your budget ready for this but you can actually have an instant result for this strategy while in SEO, it doesn't rank your keyword right away but surely the cost is one time fee and eventually will help your keywords on a higher rank but it will take you some time.

#3 Growler

Growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am not sure I know what SEM is??

#4 CaseyBell

CaseyBell

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostGrowler, on 12 March 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

I am not sure I know what SEM is??

SEM is search engine marketing i think.

#5 Starchaser Katie

Starchaser Katie

• Moderators
  • 175 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, search engine marketing. But I don't think one is more important than the other. All marketing is designed to drive traffic, and potential customers, so that should be your number 1 goal, and testing everything you can to see what works.

That is important.
http://www.makemoneyforum.com - Forum Moderator

#6 OneGoodMan

OneGoodMan

Advanced Member

• Pro Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think there is a misunderstanding here. SEM is more wide than SEO. SEM stand for Search Engine Marketing, it actually cover the SEO as well as using PPC and others to market your website.

SEO is very useful to your website, but standing on SEO alone, is not a good idea, You need to move a step forward and pay for PPC as well.

Looking for Highest rebates on your online purchases ? Panda Cash Back

#7 Vigvol

Vigvol

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

I'm trying to combine this

#8 Setuan

Setuan

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

I have a focus yet still on seo

#9 WayneLifestyle

WayneLifestyle

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I think SEO is better, because it helps to get traffic and increasing page rank.

#10 Danny Crow

Danny Crow

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostLeon, on 12 March 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Hi there Randy, SEM and SEO are both beneficial for making your online business successful. In SEM you buy ads and you need to make your budget ready for this but you can actually have an instant result for this strategy while in SEO, it doesn't rank your keyword right away but surely the cost is one time fee and eventually will help your keywords on a higher rank but it will take you some time.

Interesting read.

#11 alamest

alamest

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

They are both related and depend to each other, SEM means Search engine marketing, when you start a small business online than you need to think about search engine marketing SEM and than you need to do search engine optimize to your website to get targeted visitor your website, so I hope you can understand the difference between SEM and SEO..

#12 JeniceCarter

JeniceCarter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hi Randy, Good question
SEO- Search engine optimization is the way to improve visibility on Google(Search Engine) with targeted keyword so, whenever someone enters your defined keyword it should be in better ranking, but is not easy job. PPC(Pay Per Click),  Directory submission, Social bookmarking, Article writing and Blog posting are the basic and important techniques of SEO.
On Other side SEM(Search Engine Marketing) - It is the combination of SEO and SMM(Social Media Marketing). SMM term basically use to increase traffic, now days people using Twitter, Facebook, Linked IN, and many other networks for increasing traffic. So, in short we can say SEO use to improve ranking on search engine like -Google , Yahoo. And on other side SEM is use for both traffic Plus ranking.

#13 everythingsimpl

everythingsimpl

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostJeniceCarter, on 23 April 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Hi Randy, Good question
SEO- Search engine optimization is the way to improve visibility on Google(Search Engine) with targeted keyword so, whenever someone enters your defined keyword it should be in better ranking, but is not easy job. PPC(Pay Per Click),  Directory submission, Social bookmarking, Article writing and Blog posting are the basic and important techniques of SEO.
On Other side SEM(Search Engine Marketing) - It is the combination of SEO and SMM(Social Media Marketing). SMM term basically use to increase traffic, now days people using Twitter, Facebook, Linked IN, and many other networks for increasing traffic. So, in short we can say SEO use to improve ranking on search engine like -Google , Yahoo. And on other side SEM is use for both traffic Plus ranking.

That was a really helpful description of both terms. I have never heard of SEM before this thread.  I am guessing that we should be using both to generate traffic since they are very similar?  I am currently using twitter but I honestly don't see much of an increase in traffic.  The health niche is full of spammers on twitter and it becomes difficult to stand out.

#14 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

I think the way Google have royally screwed the searches with their Penguin update, either SEO, or the other, people are now starting to question the validity of what they know.

#15 JennyWren

JennyWren

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I recommend seo and social media above ppc especially for newbies.
PPC is a bit like turning a tap on, as long as you have the money to pay for clicks then you'll get automatic traffic. Stop the money and you have no traffic. You can burn a big whole in your budget if you don't know what you are doing :(

SEO takes time to learn and get right but has more longevity. Although you don't pay to rank it costs you time to learn and money if you pay someone to do it for you or invest in your own training.

#16 webrunner

webrunner

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

IMHO, this SEO thingy is a tad over-rated and I know a few very successful online marketers who don't lose their sleep over SEO. Search engines keep on changing their algorithms and you'd be hard-pressed to keep up. So, focus on providing good content and explore free and paid sources to drive traffic to your website(s).

That's my two-bit.

Edited by webrunner, 24 August 2012 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users