9 replies to this topic

#1 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

A small tip which should save you quite a bit of money.

Do not buy your domain at the same place where you buy your web hosting.
The reason is the high fee you have to pay when you want to move your domain to another company, some web hosting sites charges as much as $100 for a transfer - they do this because they know you have to pay, otherwise your loosing your domain.

So please register your domain from a dedicated domain registrar, such as Godaddy or Namecheap.
They cost much less per domain and does not charge you if you want to move the domain to another registrar.

In case you don't know; Your domain and web hosting does not need to be at the same provider.
Example: You can use Godaddy for your domain registration and use Hostgator for your web hosting.

#2 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Ouch I just purchased mine at the same provider. Mainly because I got a deal on the domain. But I have been using HawkHost for some time, I don't think I'll ever need to transfer. Great tip though. Namecheap would be my recommendation.

#3 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

View PostJason, on 14 December 2010 - 08:24 PM, said:

Ouch I just purchased mine at the same provider. Mainly because I got a deal on the domain. But I have been using HawkHost for some time, I don't think I'll ever need to transfer. Great tip though. Namecheap would be my recommendation.

Yep, Namecheap is a great registrar.
I have most of my domains at Godaddy, would love to move them, but it's too expensive to move them all at the same time :(

#4 bigtime

bigtime

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Namecheap has always been my domain registrar. They have reasonable prices and their domains aren't set to auto-renew like GoDaddy.

#5 MrRusty

MrRusty

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

My domains have always been registered with GoDaddy. I love their reliability and customer service. Don't plan on switching anytime soon.

#6 Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

• Administrators
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

I never buy my domains from the same company for that very reason. If anything should ever happen between you and your host, its good to be able to just leave.

#7 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

I accidentally bought my domain with HawkHost and then ended up leaving them. Lost me 10$, and now I know the lesson lol.

#8 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

Yep, it's easy to leave a webhosting company if you have your domains elsewhere

#9 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

Which domain registrar do you use? If you don't mind me asking. I know they are all the same, just curious.

#10 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

View PostMatt, on 24 December 2010 - 06:23 AM, said:

Which domain registrar do you use? If you don't mind me asking. I know they are all the same, just curious.

I use Godaddy and namecheap for all my domains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users