• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Money Blogger

Expert Money Blogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

HomePublish.com HomePublish.com/flash-income Reviews? A member contacted me today after receiving a letter from Phil Gosling, explaining how he could make them an 'ebook millionaire'.

The member actually asked me:

"Could this stuff really make me a millionaire"?

I actually laughed out loud when he asked me that. The member also scanned me in the sales letter he had received, and it seemed, to me, to be as far fetched as they come.

The letter asked the reader if they want to become a millionaire inside 12 months from selling e-books. Well, after another laugh I continued reading the sales page.

What about the claims on the sales letter?

The sales letter is a joke, in my opinion, and so are the claims that anybody applying for this product can retire a millionaire. e-Books? Well, sure, they can make money, but it is the INFORMATION that sells, not the e-books. And unless you are a an accomplished author, the chances of you making NAY kind of money are slim.

Put it another way, let's say you were an author, and have a nice, new fancy e-book to promote, the chances of you still marketing money are slim, to none, unless you know marketing, and have entries into the world of publishing.

Seems a very outdated attempt at a sales letter, too, and e-books, well, they are just not exciting are they.

Will I become a millionaire inside 12 months selling eBooks?

I think you have more chance of finding a million pounds on the back seat of the next taxi you get into.

The sales letter gave me a real laugh though :)

I am sure that Phil Gosling has made money from what he does, but as with any offer of this type, it definitely does not translate to YOU making the money, and I personally would give this one a wide birth.

#2 Marketer Man

Marketer Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

just read the sales letter on the website. OMG talking about bigging up an offer. I think trading standards might have something to say about that advertising. a millionaire in 12 months, i wonder how many students phil gosling could prove that his course turned into millionaires?, because that is what he would have to do if trading standards came sniffing around. you cannor even sell e books on ebay now, and they get ripped off all over the show.

#3 RichyJ

RichyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostExpert Money Blogger, on 18 May 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

HomePublish.com HomePublish.com/flash-income Reviews? A member contacted me today after receiving a letter from Phil Gosling, explaining how he could make them an 'ebook millionaire'.

The member actually asked me:

"Could this stuff really make me a millionaire"?

I actually laughed out loud when he asked me that. The member also scanned me in the sales letter he had received, and it seemed, to me, to be as far fetched as they come.

The letter asked the reader if they want to become a millionaire inside 12 months from selling e-books. Well, after another laugh I continued reading the sales page.

What about the claims on the sales letter?

The sales letter is a joke, in my opinion, and so are the claims that anybody applying for this product can retire a millionaire. e-Books? Well, sure, they can make money, but it is the INFORMATION that sells, not the e-books. And unless you are a an accomplished author, the chances of you making NAY kind of money are slim.

Put it another way, let's say you were an author, and have a nice, new fancy e-book to promote, the chances of you still marketing money are slim, to none, unless you know marketing, and have entries into the world of publishing.

Seems a very outdated attempt at a sales letter, too, and e-books, well, they are just not exciting are they.

Will I become a millionaire inside 12 months selling eBooks?

I think you have more chance of finding a million pounds on the back seat of the next taxi you get into.

The sales letter gave me a real laugh though :)

I am sure that Phil Gosling has made money from what he does, but as with any offer of this type, it definitely does not translate to YOU making the money, and I personally would give this one a wide birth.

Sorry, Expert Money Blogger, but your post really made me laugh. You make statements regarding ebook publishing that are simply ridiculous - and I'm afraid show that you have no idea how golden an opportunity publishing for the Amazon Kindle actually is.

Let me quote 2 sections from your post:

. And unless you are a an accomplished author, the chances of you making NAY kind of money are slim.

e-books, well, they are just not exciting are they.

Here is my actual experience of publishing for the Kindle. I started in June 2011 having read numerous posts on various forums that the Amazon Kindle was one of the easiest ways to make money. I took a PLR report that I'd had sitting on my hard drive for a couple of years; learnt how to convert a Word document into Kindle format; and then published the report. Note that Amazon no longer allows anyone to publish PLR material but I'll tell you why that isn't a problem.

In the first month, my ebook sold about 50 copies. My profit is just over £1 per copy and since I'd only originally paid $27 for the PLR report I was already in profit. Since then, the ebook has consistently sold between 300 and 600 copies per month!

Following on from this initial trial, I wrote a fiction book in a particular popular niche - it took me less than 8 hours to produce. In the first month, sales were 72 copies (with a profit of about £1-40p each copy) and it has sold consistently every month since with between 50 and 100 copies.

Needless to say, I have written a couple more books but now completely outsource the writing for a very reasonable payment. So I don't have to be a competent author nor are ebooks boring to the huge number of Kindle owners (a market that is increasing all the time)

Is the Phil Gosling product any good? I have bought it (well, it was only £17-99p) but have not yet gone through the material.

Is £1M in 12 months feasible? At £1 profit per book, then you would need to sell 83,333 copies per month. If each book achieves 100 copies per month, then you would only need 834 books. It would certainly take time to build up to this number, but it is not an unachievable figure. I won't reveal how many books I have published but it is more than 100.

My experience is that the Amazon Kindle is an absolute gold mine. Once you've discovered what sells & have got a team of outsourced writers, then scaling up the profit to whatever level you want is simple.

Richard

#4 Paulie Boy

Paulie Boy

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

You are consistently selling 300-600 copies of the first book you had published? What is the name of it, and if so easy why isn't everyone doing it? Just curious.

#5 RichyJ

RichyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostPaulie Boy, on 23 May 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

You are consistently selling 300-600 copies of the first book you had published? What is the name of it, and if so easy why isn't everyone doing it? Just curious.

I thought this would be a question that someone would pose at some time! Well,guess what, I'm not going to reveal it. You surely wouldn't expect me to make it easy for people to copy me, would you?

Whilst I publish under a large number of pen names so that it is not easy for anyone to copy everything I'm doing, I think anyone planning on selling for the Kindlle should do their own research and find their own niches.

Your comment ' why isn't everyone doing it?' is reasonable but ignores the fact that an awful lot of people ARE doing it.

Richard

#6 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

It could just the be the millionaire stuff most people would highlight, but many marketers do that.

As the old saying goes, if it can be achieved, then it can be marketed as possible. It is rarely as easy as the way these things are promoted in the literature, but some people obviously do make money from selling electronic books.

I have never really got the kindle thing myself, because for the price, you can buy a fully functional tablet pc, that would read electronic books too, as well as surf, emails and everything else a laptop does, so why do people just buy a kindle? when they can buy a tablet for just a little bit more money, and do so much more.

I suspect it is the same reason people buy ipads, even though they have no usb, etc. People just get attached to certain products. Big stuff for Amazon though.

#7 Paulie Boy

Paulie Boy

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostRichyJ, on 23 May 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

You surely wouldn't expect me to make it easy for people to copy me, would you?
Which begs the question of this forum thread subject, interestingly enough.

#8 blocat

blocat

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOldham England

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

In defence of Phil Gosling: This guy has been marketing information and doing seminars for 20 years or more. He has run and sold a very successful newsletter on vintage Jaguar cars too. I have been to a couple of his seminars. His guarantee is always the same. Hear the whole of the deal up to lunchtime when you'll have all his info. If you're not satisfied then he'll refund you in full, you'll have the business idea and can walk away with no hard feelings.

Furthermore Phil does not hide behind a mailing address, he works from his home in Disley near Stockport Cheshire and always has done. The first product I bought from him I walked up to his house and knocked the door unannounced. He welcomed me and showed me his operation from start to finish. I bought his course and yes I did make money although not millions but then at that time he was not saying I would.

Phil is also the the author of a book called' Success Engineering' which has sold hundreds of thousands of copies world wide. I woud reccommend it as a read for anyone seeking to be a winner. Sure some of his ideas are 'off the wall' but they give one pause for thought and are of great value.

I too have received his latest offering and have bought it, for seventeen pounds pluppence, why not? I am at the moment half way through reading it too. I did have a difficulty with a particular download and emailed him. I got a very prompt response and the problem was resolved.

Ok so Phil has fallen in with the current trend of 'shovelling sunshine' into one's evey oriface as I've said before is the downfall of many a "Guru" however I'd look seriously at any deal he is offering as the guy is honest, genuine and knows what he's talking about. Kindle is the way forward for self publishers and there are many and varied sources of free info that can be sold.

In conclusion, I have said before on another topic on this site: Anyone who takes verbatim what is said by any marketer is that marketer's lawful prey! That does not mean that the product is without value we all know stuff that others would like to know about. With me it's SCUBA diving with you something else but we all have knowledge that other people would gladly pay us a couple of quid to find out about. It's called Niche marketing.

I shall keep you informed as to my progress with Kindle and  I will inform Phil of this site so he has the opportunity to speak for himself.

So yer pays yer money and yer takes yer pick as always.

Remember: The human mind is like a parachute, until you open it it's just another bloody burden!

Luv & hugz,

The cat

#9 blocat

blocat

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOldham England

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hi I told Phil of this site in an e-mail. I got his reply today so I copied it and I've pasted it here. T'would seem the gent doesn't care one way or the other what anyone thinks..

Phildee
8:00 PM (4 hours ago)
to me

Thanks for fighting our corner.

I have long since given up teaching ducks how to fly like eagles. I'd rather find eagles and teach them!
Best regards
Phil

#10 Paulie Boy

Paulie Boy

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:06 AM

For what it's worth, I think that response from Phil Gosling is highly patronising, and insulting. Just because somebody does not agree with their OTT sales pitch does not make them a duck. That is a derogatory term, and maybe if what he teaches is so golden, he should not have make such outlandish claims. There is loads of good information online about Kindle publishing that I have personally found to be very useful, and none of it came with a pricetag, or a desperate sales letter quoting emotional claims like making people millionaires inside a year, to create a call to purchase. I also do agree with most of the first post. And I am no duck, I can assure you of that, Phil Gosling!

#11 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

View Postblocat, on 02 June 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

Anyone who takes verbatim what is said by any marketer is that marketer's lawful prey!

Oh come on, Blowcat. Lawful, maybe (depending on what can be backed up), but moral? Most marketers are questionable on that score.

Also, you stated quite the opposite on a few other threads, Streetwise Marketing being one, and just because you happen to like Phil, lives just down the road from you, and you have probably had a nice cup of tea with him, does not mean the moral behind the sales pitch is any different.

View Postblocat, on 03 June 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

Hi I told Phil of this site in an e-mail. I got his reply today so I copied it and I've pasted it here. T'would seem the gent doesn't care one way or the other what anyone thinks..

Phildee
8:00 PM (4 hours ago)
to me

Thanks for fighting our corner.

I have long since given up teaching ducks how to fly like eagles. I'd rather find eagles and teach them!
Best regards
Phil

Oh, I'm sure he cares.

You don't spend ten's of thousands sending mailshots, with very many people reading this thread on the first page of Google, without 'caring'.

Good luck to him though, but I agree with Paul above, just because people are right to be skeptical does not make them "birds who cannot fly very well".

All this 'millionaire' mentioning is usually a red herring, and based on results many years ago, as Phil's Company PHILDEE LIMITED is not exactly rolling in cash, and hasn't for a good few years:

http://companycheck....ompany/03187005

Also, chances are that a proportion of people who did buy into his course opted for a refund, and I doubt Mr Gosling called them ducks when handing their money back.

I do wonder why you posted his reply; maybe to gauge some kind of reaction from the forum, and if that is the case, then please refrain from doing so. If Mr Gosling has something to say to the forum, then he is free to do so himself.

#12 blocat

blocat

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOldham England

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hi I thought it was a bit mischievous posting his reply and yes I suppose I was looking for a reaction but more along the line of Ducklings and Goslings and other clumsy birds.  Not exactly birds of prey though are they? And if we  keep up the good work on sites like these they'll soon be Dodos!

Who are we defending here anyway? The gullible? The vulnerable? The feckless? The hopeless optimists? Certainly not sharp cookies like you lot who can see through the ploys and plays of these selling folk.

As a last comment please note my pseudonym is blocat Not blowcat (Short for Bloke at the other end of the computer!) :D
Luv & hugz,
The cat.

#13 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Apologies for the spelling mistake on your name Blocat (I like that name actually) :D

I don't suppose we are defending anybody, just discussing what has now been around for decades, and hopefully finding what works for the few that seek it, whilst at the same time stating a few obvious tactics used by marketers (not always a problem with the way products are marketed, everything needs selling), but with business opportunity products being more of an emotional purchase (and a lot by desperate people), then I just feel we need to highlight what is happening sometimes, and make people aware enough to make their own choices.

Agreed?  :)

#14 blocat

blocat

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOldham England

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

Agreed! :rolleyes:

#15 blocat

blocat

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationOldham England

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

By the way,
Thanks for the company link that I've only just accessed, it made most interesting reading and helped me adjust my view of Phil somewhat. Folk telling others how to become a millionaire without ever having done it themselves eh? Just another bloody "Guru."

I've no problem with admitting when I'm wrong admin however having got his latest and cheapest ever offering I still feel it's value for money (To me anyway)

Best regards,

The cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users