Cini

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

So...how will you look back at 2010?

In web terms - it was the year that changed how we all interact...

All thanks to a little blue button.

Now let me just say straight away - I love Google.

I love their mantra - I love their continual evolving - I love their personality.

And 12 months ago - I never would have imagined a Google-slayer in our midst.

But then again - 12 months in Internet World - is equivalent to 12 years in Real World.

Things move fast online.

An example?

12 months ago I had never heard of Mark Zuckerberg.

Now here- 12 months later - this young gentleman (who incidentally is the youngest self made billionaire EVER!) - is responsible for having created something that is helping explode my business.

But not just me.

Millions of others too.

Of course I am talking about...

...our blue button friend - Facebook.

Facebook vs Google?

Posted Image

A new post-Google web is emerging - Friend by Friend - Wall Post by Wall Post - Status Update by Status Update.

In this short article - I'd like to share with you a few staggering facts and jaw-dropping figures - regarding this phenomenon.

Not only is Facebook changing business - it's also changing how we do business.

Heck it's ever changing how we communicate.

Have you heard yourself say "Facebook Me" when meeting someone for the first time?

If not - you will.

Handing out business cards at events and meetings? That's so 2007....

A casual 'Facebook me' - is the new way to connect.

And with close to 600 million users - it's pretty easy to find who you are after.

Even the Queen of England launched her Facebook Page this year (bless you Liz....)

Facebook - the clip notes

<li style="font-size: 13px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">In 2010 - Facebook added it's 550 millionth member.

<li style="font-size: 13px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">One out of every dozen people on this planet has a Facebook Account (I'm not sure about other planets).

<li style="font-size: 13px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">Facebook speaks in 75 languages.

<li style="font-size: 13px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">In November 2010 - one out of every four American page views -- was Facebook. ONE IN FOUR!!

<li style="font-size: 13px; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">As of December 2010 - Facebook's membership is growing at a rate of about 700,000 people.... a day!!!What just happened?

In less than 7 years - a young fella called Mark Zuckerberg - went from creating a site to rate girls on his college campus - to wiring together a twelfth of humanity into a single network.

Facebook - the future?

So - where does Facebook go from here.

Well - firstly - there is Facebook email.

Announced in November 2010 - very soon we will be able to have our very own facebook email address.

yourname@facebook.com

It's being called the gmail killer. For obvious reasons.

What else?

Are you ready for this? Facebook email is nothing compared to this...

This is where we can really glimpse the future. And it's insane...

You ready?

Most people still think that Facebook is a way to ogle friends pictures and vacation photos - but what Zuckerberg is doing is wanting to fundamentally change how the Internet works.

And more importantly - how it FEELS.

As the Internet permeates more and more aspects of our lives and hours of our day - it effects how our world feels.

However - right now - the Internet is like an empty wasteland: you wander from page to page, and no one is there but you. Except when you have the opposite problem: places like Amazon and YouTube, where everyone is there at once, reviewing and commenting at the top of their lungs, and it's a howling mob of strangers.

Zuckerbergs vision, is that after some 'Facebookization' of the web - we'll all get something in-between.

When ever you go online - you'll see your friends. Where ever they are.

On Amazon, you might see your friends reviews.

On YouTube - you'll see what your friends watched - or you'll see their comments first.

Those reviews and comments will be meaningful because you will know who wrote them and you will have a relationship with the author.

They have a social context and will be particularly pertinent to you.

Think about this for a second -- a web reorganized and based around PEOPLE.

Not just content anymore - but people.

Wow!

Not long ago - a post Google web was unimaginable. But if there is to be one, this is what it is going to look like.

It's a shift from the wisdom of crowds to the wisdom of friends.

Are you beginning to see how powerful this could be....???

Anything else?

Posted Image

Now - this had not been announced yet - but this surely is going to happen. And when it does - it's going to be the biggest gamechanger ever.

I am expecting in 2012 - for Facebook to announce their own SEARCH ENGINE.

This is just my own hunch - there has been no press about this yet - but I can't imagine they have not thought about this.

It just makes total sense to me. Just imagine it for a moment.

Did you know - Facebook was the most searched for term on Google in 2010.

It makes sense for Facebook to create their own Search Engine.

This would mean - all our web business could be conducted from within the Facebook hub.

No more going to Google to search - instead we conduct our searches within Facebook's own Search Engine.

Google of course would continue with their Search Results - which are based primarily on backlinks and keywords...

...but imagine if we could search for RESULTS that took into account what our Friends have searched for - or commented on - or reviewed.

Instead of relying on conventional SEO -- Facebook would also look at the relevance of how many of your friends found a particular result useful.

Personalized Search Results?

We already have this a little with Google local - but imagine if Facebook went to town with this....

Would this effect organic Search Engine Optimization? Pay Per Click campaigns? Adwords campaigns? Of course it would.

Yes there are already other Search Engines - but Google is by far the Search Engine of choice...

...for now.

And one quick final thing.

Remember the big deal that was made in July 2010 when Facebook passed the 500 million users mark?

If the growth continues as it is - Facebook will pass the 1 billion members mark - by August 2012.

----------------------------------
If you feel that you would really like to 'understand' Facebook - then I have a free step by step uderstanding Facebook course available on request.

Kind Regards

Daniel

#2 Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

• Administrators
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:13 AM

Very interesting read, I like the comparison. I think it is a fair comparison as well. I don't think any web company will ever knock Google off of the top.

#3 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

I just think that because they are in two completely different niches, they will both need to exist and thrive in the future.

#4 .Anti.

.Anti.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

I agree with Jason, the beauty of it is that they will never have to compete. People will always use both when they need to.

#5 ManiaC

ManiaC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

I agree with Cini, a year ago I would have said Google in a heart beat. Now I am not so sure if I would.

#6 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

View PostManiaC, on 18 January 2011 - 06:20 AM, said:

I agree with Cini, a year ago I would have said Google in a heart beat. Now I am not so sure if I would.

Remember to use the "Thank" button if you find his post useful ;)

Great post Cini,

I hate to admit it, but it seems that Google actually got some competition now.
Time will tell how this turns out.

I bet Google will buy a lot of Facebook scares when it goes public, just in case :P

#7 ManiaC

ManiaC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

I will make sure to do that, didn't even realize we had that feature on here. I should be thanking lots more people.   :D

#8 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

View PostManiaC, on 19 January 2011 - 05:55 AM, said:

I will make sure to do that, didn't even realize we had that feature on here. I should be thanking lots more people.   :D

Sweet :)

#9 BryanF

BryanF

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

Facebook and Google are one of the best source of traffic that can help develop your website. There are new few bloggers and marketers that use Facebook to promote their website and get more visitors.

#10 Ashia01

Ashia01

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

While Google knows you're in the market for a new home, Facebook knows what causes are important to you, which videos you like to share and how often you make recommendations to your friends. Social media advertising opportunities are yielding better-qualified, higher-ROI results compared to the Google ad network.

#11 ishuvonet

ishuvonet

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Well this the difficult question of all time.But I think Google will be clearly ahead of Facebook.

#12 stephen05

stephen05

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

for me, facebook and google are both useful since they help in a lot of things specially marketing and making money.. anyways, nice read..

#13 Nemanja

Nemanja

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

for me google is better.

#14 Cameron1

Cameron1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

Who is Kyle Massey? The young Disney Channel star is perhaps the most surprising contestant to join the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 11 cast.

Edited by Cameron1, 30 August 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#15 Selijames

Selijames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Comparison of Facebook and Google is very interesting! both have made their position in this scenario. Google is the biggest search engine. Whereas Facebook has become a most popular social networking site and it will help in generating your business on the top once you know the proper use of them.

#16 stevenkadlec

stevenkadlec

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

The Best Internet Marketers arent discussing whats better- theyre using both for different purposes.

I have created over 100 fan pages on facebook all generating $50-$100/mo.

I use google to have them ranked #1 :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users