• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

Forum Reviews

• Administrators
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

The main aspect of Google Sniper has just died, with the latest Google Algorithm update, where their main criteria of ranking websites depending using exact match domain names.

George Brown has made millions from his Google Sniper product advising affiliate marketers to target exact domain name keywords when choosing their domain name.

For example, if you were going to target "green dancing cats"

Google sniper advises you to try and choose the exact domain name as:

www.greendancingcats......  or www.green-dancing-cats...

Google have now rolled out a Google Algorithm change that will now stop such websites ranking for those direct keywords:

Posted Image

It looks like all those that purchased Google Sniper will not be happy bunnies today...

#2 RichyJ

RichyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

The important part of the Matt Cutts tweet are the words 'low quality'. Provided the content passes Google's definition of quality (which won't be a very high threshold) then exact name domains will continue to rank.

I have a large number of exact name domains and the major Google algorithm change in late-Apr/early May caused my Adsense revenue to plummet. But within 4 months my Adsense sites have regained their previous rankings and the revenue is actually higher than it was. Furthermore, I have sites that do not have Adsense on them - these sites showed no change whatsoever in ranking & site visitors.

I've lost count of the number of times that people have claimed that some technique or other has dies because of what Google has done - and yet everything ends up recovering. Whilst sites are inspected by automated bots rather than humans, then it will be easy to pass quality threshold rules set by Google.

Richard

#3 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi Richard,

The problem is that it is not just low quality that has been affected here, thousands of quality websites have been hit by this. I am extremely active in the SEO world, and very many people who had some fantastic websites, quality content, unique, and regularly updated, have been hit by this, with many losing their livelihoods in the process.

Not everything ends up recovering, not by any stretch. I could show you one of my personal websites that was an 'authority site' for almost tens years, with totally unique content, and many other quality factors that produced a net income of 48k a year wiped out overnight with the Panda update, only to be replaced in it's 'niche with branded websites such as the BBC, banks, etc.

NOBODY knows how Google are assessing websites, and if you read what is going on out there, you will quickly see how many people have been affected this year, tens of thousands.

I also know of people who's sole income were destroyed overnight, when what they had was a quality site, maintained to Google's code of conduct where SEO is concerned, and are now no longer able to pay their mortgage.

The situation is, that creating a website business online, is a VERY risky decision.

Somebody could decide to create a branded website (in their eyes) pump £1million into the infrastructure and creation of the business, and could be wiped out by a flawed decision by Google's spiders overnight - never to recover.

If you read some of the core SEO venues, and see the type of websites that are being hit, and have been hit this year, you will quickly understand what I am referring to.

Google are far too powerful for their own good now. For 14 years they have used other people's intellectual property (their content and websites) to build a multi-billion $ business, and now they are at the mercy of shareholders, they are becoming extremely flippant with the lives of the same people who helped to build their business.

eBay did EXACTLY the same thing. The game has changed!

#4 RichyJ

RichyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Forum Admin

I am certainly aware of some people who have gone out of their way to advertise the fact that they have developed sites for the sole purpose of making money with Adsense who have found their sites & Adsense account closed down. I have always thought that they were being very stupid in advertising what they were doing.

I also don't doubt that other people have lost their revenue streams overnight and that is why I referred to my personal experience. I have never spent time doing fancy SEO work and trying to gain rank by link building. My sites are by no means authority sites but they do plainly pass whatever new tests Google has set up.

As with all previous Google attempts at trying to rid their search results of low quality sites, it will not be long before we see people saying what they have found works (I can envisage a whole load of WSO's appearing soon). The main lesson that should be learnt by Google's antics is to NEVER, EVER put all of your eggs in one basket.

Richard

#5 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

The lesson you refer to, Richard, is a good one, but Google being the colourful brand they are, and the amount of naive people who buy into the confidence of that 'brand' it is easy to see why people place all their eggs there. Again, the same thing happened with eBay years back, and they also got screwed over.

I have never really used Adsense myself; I have never seen the point of directing a potential customer to somebody else's website for the sake of a 20 pence commission, not when it would be far more valuable to capture that traffic for your own product; attract an email address, and potential sales for many months/years to come. I see people using Adsense on their core sites, that they also sell products from, and just shake my head in amazement.

And indeed, I am sure that the main culprits over at Warrior, are already creating mass WSO's as we type, with an endless stream of newbies looking to snatch their hands off in desperation ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users