Make Money Forum Announcements

HELLO
- - - - -

What do you wish you'd done from the beginning?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kick2011

Kick2011

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

I wish I'd put ALL of my focus on list-building at the beginning. Looking back, I could have (should have) done a separate freebie for each very specific subset of visitor. Then I could have set up Wordpress to display a different squeeze, based on the category of post.

Had I done this, I could have focused more on learning to sell to extremely targeted sublists rather than the much harder task of selling to less-specific broader traffic.

#2 aemor

aemor

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:30 AM

Its really not that too late. You can still start doing them now. It's better late than never right?

#3 Gabriel

Gabriel

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Still you can do this.

#4 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Ye, it's never to late.
Correct your mistakes and continue :)

#5 Kenneth

Kenneth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

To answer the title;

If I where to start from scratch, then I would create a content site - probably a "how-to" website.
The information you need to create such a site can be found by searching Google. The amount of traffic you can get can be huge, you just need to find the right how-to questions with low competition and you will have some very targeted traffic.

A small niche news site can be very profitable as well, and quite easy to run.

#6 Assassin

Assassin

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

continue what you are doing

#7 stevenkadlec

stevenkadlec

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

I wished I would have understood the important of keyword and market research first. I wasted years online building these awesome sites and wondering why no one was coming to them :P

#8 Brian Snipes

Brian Snipes

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationRobinson, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

I wish that I'd have actually started sooner.  I put so much money looking for the magic make money program instead of just getting started.

It's best to get started and then work on fixing what needs to be fixed as you learn and get going.

#9 dame016

dame016

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

I wish I have been building micro niche sites for affiliate marketing. I have meaning to do them, but it seems that time is a scarce resource. I keep on doing freelance jobs.

#10 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Google are closing down microsites made purely for affiliate products, as fast as you can make them. So you need to know what you are doing in order to avoid being penalised by their algo's.

#11 BigManWalking

BigManWalking

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, CA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I would have paid the money and listened to those with experience.  I heard one of the "gurus" say he wished the same thing.  He lost something like $15,000 on some ad campaign because he thought he knew what he was doing.  He got back about $12.

Learn from those who have been there.

It's funny.  That's the same thing that I tell my son.  :-)
Charlie Hicks-Moore
Do What You Truly Want To Do In Life!
1 of my blogs 4YOU - http://ow.ly/aZquc

#12 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostBigManWalking, on 17 May 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

I would have paid the money and listened to those with experience.  I heard one of the "gurus" say he wished the same thing.  He lost something like $15,000 on some ad campaign because he thought he knew what he was doing.  He got back about $12.

Learn from those who have been there.

It's funny.  That's the same thing that I tell my son.  :-)

Maybe, but you should also be very careful who you listen to.

The problem these days, is the word 'guru' is used too much. And people have actually 'become' gurus' without any type of qualification.

I'll give you an example:

When people claim in their 'guru' sales letters that they have turned over £$10million over the last 10 years, as a reason for them being a 'guru', when what they are failing to tell, is that they made such revenue by offering teaching materials which do not really have any substance in operating a REAL business.

There are many such people in the UK, and the USA, who are just marketers, and not 'gurus' of any type, but because they have made money marketing 'how to make money' products, they believe they are business people who should be listened to. When the reality is, give them a real product, or real business to promote, that does not include 'how to make 10 zillion a month', and they would fall flat on their faces.

Be careful who you listen to!

#13 BigManWalking

BigManWalking

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:29 AM

I have actually said that people should be careful who they listen to in another post.

Of course.

Guru, is, in fact, my word.

I should have used mentor.

One gentleman I'm referring to has build websites that he has sold for tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I think that qualifies him, but he's done much more than that.

I would have provided a link, but I'm not allowed to yet because of your "interesting" rules. ;-)
Charlie Hicks-Moore

#14 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostBigManWalking, on 18 May 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

I would have provided a link, but I'm not allowed to yet because of your "interesting" rules. ;-)

Hey Charlie,

You would not find them 'interesting' if you had to deal with the amount of spammers we deal with. The other side of not allowing some links to be posted, is because unlike some other forums, we are cautious of what our members are being met with, you know, links that have not been validated. Not saying you would, but ten's of thousands of spammers would, and do, daily :rolleyes:

But yes, a mentor is a better term, and finding somebody who is genuine, and will offer genuine help without asking for your credit card details, is what you should be aiming for.

#15 BigManWalking

BigManWalking

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Well, I do think that people ought to be cautious, but not buying stuff online with a credit card?  Isn't that what you're implying there?  My wife and I have been buying online for a decade and with less problems than offline.

Her identity was stolen once by someone raiding our mailbox.  That hasn't happened online.
Charlie Hicks-Moore

#16 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostBigManWalking, on 18 May 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Well, I do think that people ought to be cautious, but not buying stuff online with a credit card? Isn't that what you're implying there?

Jees, Charlie, you are really hard work, you know.

Why so defensive in your words? You are not used to forums are you? I can see that immediately in your postings, but hoping as you get used to them again, you can become an asset to the forum, and a valued member.

#17 BigManWalking

BigManWalking

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

Well, it's possible that I am defensive.  I concede that is possible.  Still doesn't answer my question though.  I might have merely misunderstood.  Do you mean that people shouldn't buy stuff online using their credit card?
Charlie Hicks-Moore

#18 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Charlie,

If people didn't buy products and services online using a credit card, then this forum would not exist. How else do we expect potential customers to pay for the products that are going to put food on our tables, virtual or otherwise? Even with Paypal you need a credit card to open an account, and therefore online commerce would cease pretty quickly without credit cards.

You misunderstood the posting I made.

#19 Paulie Boy

Paulie Boy

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

That gets my vote. A lot of peeps online now are out for what they can get, and use the guise of helping to make a lot money.

#20 BigManWalking

BigManWalking

Graduated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSan Marcos, CA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for clarifying that.  I just wanted to be sure that I didn't drop into some Twilight Zone where the group all expected people to use a credit card to by from them, but weren't willing to do the same.  There are some funky little groups out there.
Charlie Hicks-Moore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users